Search Warrant Leads to Five Arrests
On Aug 27, 2015, at about 1pm, officers of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office conducted a search warrant at 4584S CTH C in the Borea area of the Town of Superior, resulting in a five hour man-hunt and the arrest of five people.
As the BearCat armored vehicle pulled into the driveway, surveillance officers observed five persons, one thought to be armed with a handgun, run out of the back of the house and into a wooded area east of the residence. Officers set up a perimeter around approximately 30 acres bound by CTH C, Short Cut Rd. and the BN railroad tracks. Highway C and Short Cut Rd were closed off for a period of time.
After the house and property were cleared of additional persons, officers began the first of several drives through the thickly forested area in attempts to locate the fleeing suspects. Over the course of the next five hours, all five were taken into custody:
1) Michel Bryce Martin, 28, Two Harbors, MN. Charged with resisting/obstructing and a felony warrant out of Lake Co. MN
2) Michael D Garrity, 27, Superior. Charged with resisting/obstructing, possession of MJ, and a felony MN Dept. of Corrections Warrant.
3) Nicholas TW Nagel, 25, St. James, MN. Charged with resisting/obstructing.
4) Kennedy J Stuart, 18, Foxboro, WI. Charged with resisting/obstructing and felony warrants from Carlton and Watonwan Counties in MN.
5) Kristy A Schleski, 25, Superior. Charged with resisting/obstructing and a WI Dept. of Corrections Warrant.
Additional charges are pending given the growing scope of this investigation. Firearms, drugs/paraphernalia, and stolen property located during the search warrant tie this group to several area burglaries.
Also assisting on this incident were the WI State Patrol, the Douglas County Humane Society, and the Douglas County Health Department, who deemed the house and property unfit for human habitation.